Thursday, November 1, 2012

The longest run of my life...

So I have this good friend named Mike. I have talked about him on here before. Anyways, a while ago Mike started running, and expressed interest in doing a longer race, like a half marathon. I was so excited for him! But he kept not signing up for a race so I finally made him do it and said I would join him. I was excited to be a part of his first race!

So the day finally came and we hopped on the bus and headed for Sundance. It was 20 degrees when we arrived and we had THREE hours before the race started! Burr! It was fun to see everyone's costumes and get excited to start.
 (Robbers...Partners in crime...running like we stole something...)

The time finally came and we were off! Mike is about twice my height so I didn't plan on staying with him very long, and my shoe cam untied early so I sent him on his way. Well about mile 3 I started getting a migraine. I started seeing spots and losing my vision...by mile 4 is was pretty much gone and stayed that way for a bit...then it cleared up and I had a good mile...then the pain of the headache came along with the nausea. Holy mother. If you are a sorry soul who suffers from migraines you know the kind of pain I am talking about. Then I started throwing up...so I resigned to walk...I just wanted to keep going. The race wasn't well marked so I never knew how far I was...so I just kept hoping I was only a few miles away. At one point I considered just sitting down and calling for a ride...but I wanted to finish so badly so I pressed on. After about the third throw up stop the pain in my head lifted a bit taking it down to a "normal" headache. This was seriously a miracle. My migraines never get better without strong medication or sleep. Miracle. Anyways I was able to hobble into the finish...with by far my slowest time ever.

My family had started to try and call me and my Dad said he was about to head up the canyon looking for me because I was so much slower than usual. Poor Mike waited FOREVER at the finish line for me, I felt so bad! I was supposed to be his big support to finish this goal and I barely finished myself! But GO MIKE! He did awesome! I was so proud. I hope it is the first of many races for him. And hey, I wasn't the last one across the finish line!

It was definitely the longest run of my life, and by far the hardest. But I am glad I did it! I never regret a run. Thanks for getting me out there Mike!

 We did it!



1 comment:

  1. What a great recap! I hope I get to read one from Mike's POV. Sorry you felt so crappy--but all those endorphins must be what helped keep the pain down near the end. It's funny--so easy to quit something because of pain, but a race is so hard to just say no to. You just always want to finish. Way to push through!

    ReplyDelete