Friday, November 30, 2012

Personal Penguin

This is a self indulgent post. When Kyle was only a few days old a good friend gave him the book Your Personal Penguin, by Sandra Boynton. I loved it right away, and it soon became a favorite of Kyle's. At three months he would laugh and dance to the song that goes along with the book. Now he is almost 2 (best age so far in my opinion) he knows the words and sings along. I love it. 

Well now it is still a regular in the daily reading routine. But today, as I finished reading it to him I was overwhelmed with this emotional little feeling. Allow me to share this brilliant little book...

I like you a lot, you're funny and kind.
So let me explain what I have in mind...

I want to be your personal penguin.
I want to walk right by your side.

I want to be your personal penguin.
I want to travel with you far and wide.

Wherever you go, I'll go there too,
Here and there and everywhere and always with you.

I want to be your personal penguin from now on.

Now, lots of other penguins seem to do fine in a universe of nothing but ice.
But if I could be yours, and you could be mine, our cozy little world would be twice as nice.

I want to be your personal penguin.
I want to talk with you night and day.

I want to be your personal penguin.
I want to listen to whatever you say.

Look at these wings, so perfect to hold you.
I'd like to say again what I have already told you.

Let me be your personal penguin.
Imagine me, your personal penguin.
I want to be your personal penguin, from now on....please?

The illustrations are my favorite, and the song is so fun. I love everything about this book. I remember as I used to read it to the baby Kyle, I always sort of felt like he was MY personal penguin. We were a team, I had him and he had me. But today when I read it? I realized it is now me asking to be HIS personal penguin. He is already outgrowing his need of me all the time. It is now me longing to be with him day and night, listen to everything he says, and have his perfect wings hug me. He is my little sidekick and my best little friend, and I love it that way. It won't always be like this.  The older he gets the more I will become the one requesting to be the personal penguin.

We can only hope I don't get this reflective and emotional on every one of his birthdays. Good heavens. But gees, he is my favorite. 


1 comment: