Tuesday, October 23, 2012

On my mind

I have been thinking about this topic for months now, and then Pres. Uchtdorf (my favorite) addressed it in the most recent conference and said things better than I have ever been able to. I have been thinking about being busy. Everyone always says to me, usually when asking me to do something, "I know you are so busy!". I always reply with, umm not really. But it is almost like admitting you aren't "busy" is the same as saying you are lazy or unproductive...and that is not how I see it.

Life comes in phases and some are more busy than others, and right now I don't happen to be highly stressed out or very busy. My days are full. I accomplish a lot each day. I never feel lazy or unproductive, but I am very flexible and my schedule doesn't cause me anxiety or stress. I make a point to simplify as much as possible to create this feeling of peace in my life. I know it won't always be so easy. But for now, I enjoy it. And though I think this is a good thing, I find myself feeling sheepish when I say I am not busy. Almost like  in our world you have to be busy to be worthwhile...kinda like this..
Isn’t it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an accomplishment or sign of a superior life.
Told ya he says it better than me. I feel like you can be the busiest person in the world and yet not do one truly productive thing in a day. Now don't get me wrong. I know life is busy. Insane work hours, kids, school, or other things fill life up and make it plenty busy and stressful. It isn't always in our power to simplify it to a point of peace. But for me? Right now? Things are simple, and I am just going to admit that. Like I said, I don't just sit around all day thinking of things to do. I have a full list, and often don't get to everything I want each day. Like ever...but I no longer feel the need to create extra stress and tell everyone who will listen how BUSY I am just so they think I am a productive person. I have nothing to prove...and I am happy this way.

Another quote along these lines I love is this:
Good friends will always make room in their schedule for you in your time of need. Great friends don't even glance at their schedule in your time of need.
I  hope I can be the kind of person that is there for people, especially my own family when they need me, without announcing to them how much I have to move around in my schedule to make it work. Priorities.

So my last little tangent....

I am usually a morning person. Like a 5:00 am morning person. But lately I haven't been feeling it, so I sleep until Kyle wakes up. This stage won't last much longer, because I do miss my early mornings, but these last few weeks have been so fun. Sometimes...we lay in my bed for like an hour after we wake up and just chat and play and lay there. The old me would have never done this, and if I did I never would have admitted it...but I love it! Moments like this won't last forever. He won't always be two and want to lay there with me. It won't always be the two of us in the morning. We won't always have such flexible timing in the mornings. This has become my favorite time of day with Kyle. I won't always be lucky enough to have this time. And one more quote...
Let us resolve to cherish those we love by spending meaningful time with them, doing things together, and cultivating treasured memories.
*read his whole talk here



No comments:

Post a Comment