Thursday, December 1, 2011

Whoosh.

I sometimes drop Ryan off at school so I can have the car for the day, often it is a thought provoking drive for me. 
Nostalgia. Fun. Discovery. Learning. Growth. Stress. Challenge. Friends. Memories. Dreams. Scared. Love. Hate. Lost. Confused. Faith. Goals. Failure. Success. Sacrifice. Beautiful. Tiring. Festive. Spiritual. Crazy.

Just a few of the words that describe my big complicated relationship with BYU. I have never once looked back and regretted my choice to "drop out" my junior year and go for my dream. I loved every minute of hair school and I have never felt more right about anything. I still love doing hair, I love the opportunities it has given me. It just fits.

I have always intended on finishing my last 40 credits at BYU.  I couldn't walk away from so much work, and money I had put into my degree. But more than that I think I just felt pressure. I felt pressure from my family. I felt pressure from anyone who asked me what I did, ans when I answered with hair, a judgmental look often followed. I felt pressure from myself. I felt not good enough unless I finished what I started.

Don't get me wrong, I have total respect for the academic world. I know how hard it is, and I understand why people need to finish. But for me, I realized that in this stage of my life...I need to be happy with the fact I lived my dream. I do hair. I love it. It is what I always wanted. I also have a little man. He needs a lot of my time and attention. My husband is in grad school. These things all add up to a sacrifice. I made my choice. I have no regrets. And yes, I still want to finish school, but maybe I will be 50 when that happens. I can not justify the expense, and the time I need to go to school right now. I have a role in my family, and right now it is to make money to support Ryan through school, and to raise Kyle.

 I can't have any apologies. I will no longer answer questions about myself with "...and I have a few semesters left at BYU." I don't need to mention the BYU part of my life to feel good about myself. Right now my sacrifice is NOT finishing my degree. I fully see the other side of it and understand how finishing IS also a sacrifice. A worthy one. But as I withdrew from my class once again, I felt ok about it. BYU will be waiting for me...when I am ready. I am forever grateful for the years I spent as a full time student...but everything has a season, and school isn't in this part of my life.

I am always grateful for experiences like this to help my mind be opened to things. No matter how hard I try I can have my judgmental moments...and one experience at a time I like to think I am learning to eliminate those moments.

3 comments:

  1. I will be forever grateful for the time you were at BYU ... it brought us together without question. I also love how you put this. We have to look at our situation to find what is best for ourselves and then be happy with it (which I think can be awfully difficult). You never cease to amaze me with your profound thoughts!

    ReplyDelete