Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving! It was our year to go to Ryan's family, which was fun because I had never been there before for this blessed holiday. Last time it was their year we all went to Disneyland. While this year wasn't quite as magical, we still enjoyed good food and had some fun. We started our day early! Kyle and I went on the annual Y Hike with my dad while Ryan went and played some football.

The hike was a lot of fun. My dad and I started this tradition the first year we moved to Utah...1998? Since then we have only missed four years. 1. Random drunks were blocking the trailhead so we hiked Rock Canyon instead of picking a fight. 2. I had ACL replacement surgery a few weeks before Thanksgiving so we went to the BYU Stadium parking lot and my dad taught me to drive stick instead. 3. The year I went to Disneyland (the only year we didn't do something in its place) and 4. Last year. 40 weeks pregnant. We went on a more gentle "hike" down by Utah Lake. This tradition is important to me. I love my dad. Being the youngest child by 7 years I think I have a unique relationship with my parents. I had a lot of alone time with them, and now I still like my one on one time with Dad. I loved adding Kyle this year though. One of my huge parenting goals is to instill a love of physical activity and a love of the outdoors in my children. Ryan and I went camping and hiking every chance we had this past summer, and I am starting Kyle young with the Thanksgiving hike tradition! My dad was kind enough to do all the heavy lifting on the way up, and I carried Kyle down just so I could say I did some of the work. We had a wonderful time as always! The short but brutally steep hike makes us feel not as guilty when we enjoy the massive meal later that day.


After we all got back from our morning festivities we finished up our cooking and packed up to head to the Lundgreen's until Saturday. The food was delish and the company was even better! Not everyone loves their in-laws  but I can honestly say that despite the crazy chaos that is often present, I love the family I married into.  Check out the festive feather headbands Erin and I made for the place settings! I even got Kyle to leave his on through the meal:)



After the meal and a nap I did something I have never done before. I agree it is totally crazy, but the girls headed out for some Black Friday MADDNESS. We were not disappointed. We camped out at Target for a few hours, then headed to Kohl's, stopped at IHOP for some food, then to two malls...we left at 10:00 pm and returned at 6:00 am. Crazy. The deals were good, but the whole experience is what made it worth it for me. We had a lot of fun, and luckily were not trampled or pepper sprayed in the process.
The rest of the trip was spent napping, playing games, and relaxing. We came back home Saturday night, and it felt so good to be home. I love the Holidays, more this year than ever before. And I don't have the Sunday night blues so much tonight because...it is BIRTHDAY week! Woo! Sure we have to work...but we plan to party too. Bring on December!

No comments:

Post a Comment