Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Look Up

I am really excited for General Conference this weekend. Since I missed conference in October for the marathon (spent Saturday running and Sunday sleeping), I have been reading the talks online to catch up. This week I decided to re-read my favorites in preparation for this weekend. I thought I would post a few of my favorite quotes and links. It is hard to pick favorites, since so many of their words feel so direct and true.


My favorite thing about conference is how I always feel like they are speaking directly to me, and they addressing my very personal concerns, while simultaneously doing the same for millions of other people listening. 


This first quote hit me, and I am sure almost every other mother can relate. Having a baby was seriously HARD for me. Still is. I feel bad saying that sometimes because I know what a blessing Kyle is, and how many people out there are unable to have or adopt children. I know many would give anything to experience the hardships of motherhood. That being said, I have to be honest and say HOLY SMOKES. This is hard for me. In so many ways. However I often remember that anything of worth is usually a challenge.  I loved this quote, especially because he is quoting a non LDS woman. It proves to me that challenges in motherhood are not unique to women in my faith.


Many voices in the world today marginalize the importance of having children or suggest delaying or limiting children in a family. My daughters recently referred me to a blog written by a Christian mother (not of our faith) with five children. She commented: “[Growing] up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood. … Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get.” She then adds: “Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.”7


You can read the whole talk here. For some reason looking at motherhood as my job, or my calling, rather than some super fun way to spend my life helps me. It is easy to lose focus and perspective when I get caught up in the day to day tasks of my life. But what I am doing is important. Not always easy, fun, or glamorous...but worth it.


Changing gears a little bit I also love this next quote. I am a person who struggles with change. Not so much when it comes to moving, or hairstyles, but honest real life changes. I take a long time to deal with them. I am talking BIG changes here. Not little things...I go with the flow pretty well. Anyways, one thing that always brings me comfort is the constancy of the Gospel. It never changes. It is always true. It is always there full of light and hope.  


Our Father in Heaven is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The prophet Mormon tells us that God is “unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.”3 In this world where nearly everything seems to be changing, His constancy is something on which we can rely, an anchor to which we can hold fast and be safe, lest we be swept away into uncharted waters.


You can read the whole talk here. I love it. Everything is going to be ok. Always.


The last quote is one of optimism. 


President Monson’s encouragement to look up is a metaphor for remembering Christ. As we remember Him and trust in His power, we receive strength through His Atonement. It is the means whereby we can be relieved of our anxieties, our burdens, and our suffering. It is the means whereby we can be forgiven and healed from the pain of our sins. It is the means whereby we can receive the faith and strength to endure all things.7
You can read the whole talk here. I just have to repeat...through everything in life the Gospel of Jesus Christ is what pulls me through. It is always there. It is always true. It is full of light, happiness, and hope. Sure it is hard at times to live the Gospel, but it is a whole lot harder/sadder/darker to live without the hope, happiness, and joy that it brings to my life each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. you quoted my two favorite talks from last conference! thanks for the reminders and testimony, sure do love ya :)

    ReplyDelete