Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ramblings.

Lately I have had an unusually high number of experiences that have all taught me one thing, that everyone is going through something. Not that I am really naive enough to believe that anyone has a perfect life or that those who appear to have it all really DO have it all, but sometimes it takes talking to new people or learning new things about people you have known for years to really remind me of this. Everyone is struggling. Some more than others, and all of us at one time more than another.

Recently when talking with a friend, this line came to mind..."in the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see.."  A simple line from a hymn I have sung regularly my entire life, but the meaning of it finally set in.

Everyone is struggling, some more quietly than others. When you think of in this way I guess it could feel depressing. But instead I think it makes the world approachable. Why not smile and say hello to someone? Why not drop a treat off to someone? Why not take your neighbors kids for an hour? Why not ask someone a little more about themselves? They could probably use a little help...couldn't you?

Some people are living in a sort of secret darkness we might never expect. Others might have more public struggles, but we might never know exactly what they are going through. But it doesn't matter. You don't have to relate, you just have to care. When your motives come from a sincere place, you can't go wrong. Remember times are tough for many, and do something to make their day a little easier. Be considerate. Take the time to forget yourself and care about someone else. This is my goal for the month.



1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. Such a great song and such a good reminder. You have always been a great example of one who is considerate of others. Hope you know how much I appreciate you and your friendship!

    ReplyDelete