Friday, May 18, 2012

Dress Up

I want new clothes just about every day. Unfortunately the student budget doesn't allow for that (shocker I know)...so lately I have been attempting to change up things I already have, or find cheap ways of making some new stuff. Pinterest is full of amazing ideas, but most of them seem a bit out of reach for me. I have very little skill in the area of clothes sewing...but a few projects of late I actually really liked. I felt like posting it just to show that really, anyone can do it! I followed other people's tutorials of course. Check it out. I make a super great model, yeah? Awkward.

I really love the colored jeans all around these days. They scream WARM WEATHER to me. I found a few cheap pairs I love, but as always, I wanted MORE. I found this tutorial and couldn't resist. I went to DI and found some white pants. They fit up top but flared at the bottom. With some help from my mom we made them skinny, then I just bought RIT dye from Hobby Lobby (with a coupon) and dyed them in the washing machine. Easiest. Thing. Ever. And now I love them. The pictures are bleh but I didn't want to make Ry keep taking more since it was raining.
 Before. This doesn't show the flare though. 
Taduhhhhh (total cost with tax: $5.46)

Next I decided to give this one and this one a try. I made two versions on the shirt (not done yet...and my mom assisted), and the skirt was so simple (with a little help from Erin). My grandma has a zillion old doilies to choose from, and the skirt ended up costing a little over $5. Not too bad. I didn't plan on wearing them together, but it worked well enough for a picture.
Isn't it beautiful outside? Holy smokes. Love me a rainy day. Anyways. I don't claim to be super crafty, or stylish...but I like to have some fun. I needed some help with some things, so luckily I am related to talented women. Sure, I would prefer to just buy what I want...but for now it is sort of fun trying to make something for nothing. If I can do this, anyone can. Give it a try!

4 comments:

  1. you make a fantastic model. love it and i need to make me a skirt! and dye some pants! copy cat. right here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest has some pretty good ideas, if you are skilled enough to put them into action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me a pink ruffle skirt this morning and LOVE it! Can't wait to work on them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cool. I'll need a bang trim-up on of these days, and I have some coupons to my old job that I'll give you. :-)

    ReplyDelete