Thursday, January 19, 2012

Simplicity

I don't know why, but for some reason on the days I drive Ryan to school, it is often a time of reflection for me. Maybe it is because BYU campus holds SO many memories for me. Or maybe because it is early morning, and I always think more early in the morning. Whatever the reason, I always like it. Here are today's thoughts.

Today it just hit me. A year from now our lives will be forever different. The student era ends, and we move on. I have looked forward, and counted down to that day since...probably as long as Ryan and I have been together. We have been students our entire marriage. This is typical, I know. But today it made me think. I am constantly talking about the next phase of life. Moving away. Buying a house. Today I realized I will really miss this stage of life. It is a unique, special time. Our memories made in Provo are priceless. This is where we met, fell in love, had Kyle...and so much more.

Sure, living on a student budget gets frustrating, and the amount of homework and such is hard. And we would LOVE to take a vacation! But there is a certain simplicity to our lives that I know we might never have again. One child, a young one at that. The real intense stress and worry has not fully set in as far as parenting goes. Kyle is easy, and with 2 parents and 1 child, things are simple. Ryan loves his school and work. Simple. We teach sunbeams at church. Simple. I work 2 days a week doing something I enjoy, and at any time I can change my hours. Simple. There is no long term pressure. We aren't grown up yet. I am not saying life is a piece of cake and everything is lovely. Not at all. But I realized today that this is a special time and rather than wishing it away I need to soak it up for the next year. Because after that, real life is started, ready or not.

Chances are we will not live in Utah next year, and that is very exciting. Not because I am a Utah hater, because I am definitely not. Since moving here kicking and screaming years ago, this place has become home. I love it. We love being close to family, and things are very comfortable. We aren't trying to leave Utah, but that just seems to be how it is going to be. (though I could be totally wrong, you can't predict these these things...we have thought we were leaving before but always end up staying). I will miss Utah. And even if we were to stay here, I will miss this life. Money is hard to come by, I hate feeling so stranded, and renting gets old...but I love us. I really do. I have not been loving it lately. I have been complaining, and wishing it all away. But when it comes down to it I am content. I am grateful to be able to spend as much time with Kyle as I do, and I know I will miss this simple time more and more as life gets more complicated.

Today I am content. And with one year of school to go, I want to wrap myself up in it and snuggle in its comfort.

1 comment:

  1. this was a great tangent. although i am ignoring the part about you not being in utah a year from now. pushing it all aside.

    ReplyDelete