Sunday, January 29, 2012

Growth

I had a lot of goals for the new year. Not really on purpose...I just had some things in my life I needed to change and it happened to be right around December so why not use the change of the calendar as a fresh start? A month later things are going really well. I know, only a month, but you have to celebrate small milestones I believe. As I started these changes I realized something. A lesson my whole life in the making. This quote inspires me.
"Do one thing every day that scares you." -Eleanor Roosevelt
As I tried more than one thing totally out of my comfort zone this last month I realized how therapeutic it was.  I realized how much more fun I was allowing myself to have. I noticed all the self improvements I was able to make simply by leaving my comfort zone, and in turn expanding it. I saw all the things I was missing because I was holding myself back.

The next month is already packed with things that make me uncomfortable. I am scared/stressed/nervous. But so excited. I already like who I am now a whole lot more than who I was a month ago. For me, having a baby rocked my world. I lost my identity and over a year later I am still trying to find joy and put the pieces together. It is an every day battle, but I know I will win.

I am so grateful as I venture out on these frightening experiences I always have a safe, comfortable place to come back to. I love my home, and the people in it, and its that foundation that allows me to grow in other experiences. So I have started small...attending fitness classes alone, calling people on the phone (you have no clue how shy I am), taking some new clients, and daring myself to stay ahead of the laundry rush are a few of this month's feats. February already has some frightening things scheduled but I feel ready to fight the negative voice in my head telling me I might fail. I feel more empowered already.

3 comments:

  1. I just have to say that I love your blog! I love how eloquent you are and that you can put to words a lot of how I feel. I think you should write a book. I share some of your posts with my sisters:) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw you post your blog on fb :) Hope it's ok if I snoop and comment. I love this post! This year I'm hoping for some growth too. I really like that quote by Elenore Roosevelt. I've never hear it before and it's totally fitting for me right now! I am always so afraid to get out of my comfort zone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete