Sunday, April 22, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things.

Favorite things about racing, that is. Little story. Back in December some of my siblings in law decided to run a half marathon together. I was excited. I was just a few months out from my marathon so I wasn't too worried about training. I ran semi regularly....but then in February the whole gallbladder situation happened. From the time the intense illness started, to after my surgery, I had been down for about 6 weeks. So since I hadn't actually signed up for the race, I opted out, thinking it was just too fast to be ready. BUT THEN. We were eating dinner at Kris and Becky's and Becky said Kris had registered but decided he didn't want to run and offered me his spot. I instantly got so excited that I just said YES. I'm in. I got a little nervous, but I got some new shoes (so sad to part with me old ones, but the new ones are fab) and went for a long run to prove to myself I could do it.  While I was running, I started thinking about all the reasons I absolutely love running, and love running races. SO of course I am going to share.

  • I love having a specific goal to work toward. I love the motivation it gives me to get out and run. I also love the feeling or working hard accomplishing something. I get this feeling not only at the end of a race, but at the end of any challenging run.
  • I love making the time to train. Everyone is busy. I don't claim to be especially busy, but I like to run solo. Finding time to run when Ryan can be home with Kyle can be tricky. I have found getting up before the sun in the best way to guarantee I get my runs in. When I run early in the morning it is beautiful. It is almost a spiritual experience every morning. The world is quiet and I am all alone, left to think about anything I want. It starts my days off right. No matter what else happens the rest of the day, I feel accomplished. 
  • I love the starting line. People are nervous and excited. There are all types of people with all sorts of backgrounds. Some have time goals, others just want to finish. But everyone has worked hard, and put hours into getting to this start line. Some are even about to make their lifelong goals and dreams come true.
  • I love listening to myself breathe and to my shoes hit the pavement.
  • When I run, all the negative thoughts disappear. All of those not good enough feelings are gone. I feel strong. I feel proud. And feeling that way, makes running worth every ache or pain, blister, and any money spent worth it. 
  • I love all the spectator support. My parents, Ryan, and Kyle have been at all of my races and it means everything to me. But I also love watching everyone else's families and friends. I love all the signs and shirts. I almost get emotional when I think of all these people and how proud they are of their loved ones running. I love the little kids with to "go mom/dad" signs. I love their faces as their runners pass by. There is so much love and support in the air there. 
  • And of course, I love the finish line. For many it is an emotional time. There is so much joy and relief. The ice cold chocolate milk they hand you doesn't hurt either:)
Running is great for me because I am in control. I am in no way a natural runner, it does not come easy. But I enjoy the hard work it takes. I enjoy challenging myself. As an adult it is easy for me to get comfortable and rarely be required to leave my comfort zone. Running keeps me on the edge, always challenging myself to improve. Getting my runs in and reaching my goals doesn't depend on anyone but me. It is my thing. I like having full accountability. 

This race was so fun! It was a beautiful day and the course was fun. I like running into downtown. The part I loved most was having so much family there. We cheered each other on, it was great! Everyone did so well. Kevin made AMAZING time. Erin did her first bike tour, and got a fabulous time to boot! Becky finished in great time despite an illness that required two 7-Eleven stops, and Kate finished her first ever half marathon after having a baby 6 short months ago! These people are crazy cool! Proud to call them family. 





Other weekend highlights: Watching Ry play tennis. Emmett's birthday party. Kyle having cousins over to play for a few hours, and watching our nephew's little league game. Grilling. Delicious fresh fruit. 
I love this pic of Emery helping Kyle around the yard to look at the flowers.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go!!! I have wanted to do that but do not have enough motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job, julie! sounds like a fun weekend! i'm trying to find the confidence to sign up for my first half marathon. makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kid-like-butterfly-feelings of racing! I don't think it'll ever get old! So glad you could be there with us - it was super fun!

    ReplyDelete