Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The End

For months I have been battling this sad feeling of Kyle not being my only one anymore. I am so excited and grateful to have a little girl join our family, but it is hard for me to accept things will never again be the same. It is the end of an era for us. Ryan, Julie, Kyle. We make a rather fantastic team if you ask me. I love us. I love nothing more, NOTHING, then hanging out with Ryan and Kyle. I know I will love this baby girl too and all that, but I think for today, I will just let myself dwell on this phase, and feel sad it is ending.

Kyle is a dream. I know everyone says that about their own children and now I know why. He brings me laughter, love, and amazement on a daily basis. Having a toddler is an opportunity to see the world in a whole new way. Airplanes going by, or construction on the side of the road are suddenly huge events to be celebrated and discussed. Things that would otherwise go unnoticed and suddenly meaningful parts of the day. And the conversations we have? Quality I am telling you. You can't be in a hurry when you have a toddler. And I have learned, if you let your life slow down with theirs, something wonderful happens. You talk about different bugs on the way to the car, you take time to say hello to every duck in the park, you take 20 minutes to put on flip flops because they want to try it themselves, you take three times as long to make dinner because they are helping, the list goes on forever...and it is sort of magical. Now sometimes things just need to be done, but the days I run on Kyle time? They are such great days. I learn so much living through Kyle's eyes. I just love the curiosity and discovery that is happening constantly (though I admit to losing it occasionally with all the what's that? what happened?)

Kyle has been a great sidekick for the last two and a half years. He has taught me so much, and we have come a long ways. He is so special. I can't even comprehend how much more he will teach me and the things we will go through together but I hope he can always understand how loved he is. He is a special boy. We had a bit of a rough start. I struggled a lot becoming a mom and of course still have daily battles to face, but I am so grateful for the relationship we have now. He is my buddy, my best friend, my Kyle. He is the coolest person I know.

So yes I am ready to add to our party, I know she will be super cool too. But wow am I grateful for the years we have spent as a party of three. I hope this girl knows how lucky she is getting someone like Kyle as her older brother. Seriously. Team Lundy forever!


2 comments:

  1. I read all of your posts, but I rarely take the time to comment (even though I love them all). This one was especially darling, though, and it really warmed my heart, so I just had to comment. I loved the way you talked about Kyle/motherhood; it was so, so sweet. Thanks for sharing, Jules, and happy (early) Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, choking up again over here! don't know why i'm just now reading this but...holy smokes! so well put. thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete